ObjectiveThe objective of DRI is to better understand the physical characteristics of and processes influencing Canadian Prairie droughts, and to contribute to their better prediction, through a focus on the recent severe drought of 1999 - 2004/05.
This will be accomplished through a focus on three research themes:
- Quantify the physical features of this recent drought
- Improve the understanding of the processes and feedbacks governing the formation, evolution, cessation and structure of the drought.
- Assess and reduce uncertainties in the prediction of drought and its structure.
- Compare the similarities and differences of the recent drought to previous droughts over this region and those in other regions, in the context of climate variability and change.
- Apply our progress to address critical issues of importance to society